I’m going to finally get around to doing the post that I promised last week, nearly all flowers. But, I have to start with one bird photo, just to keep the streak alive. 😉
Besides, there are flowers in that photo, even if they’re out of focus. 😉
Okay, for the real flowers, these were shot over the course of the summer, with either the Canon 100 mm macro lens on a 60D body, or the Canon 300 mm L series lens, 1.4X tele-converter, and on the 7D Mk II body. They’re both great set-ups for flowers, the 100 mm lens makes it easier to get the exact angle that I want, if I can get close to the flower. The 300 mm lens and tele-converter gets the larger flowers without cropping, or I may have had to crop some of these because fences, water, or other obstacles prevented me from getting as close as I would have liked. There’s not much else to say, so here goes.
Some of the photos are only fair, but a few are pretty good as well. I’m feeling pretty proud of myself, not because of the images, but only a few of these are unidentified. Lightroom has a database for keywords, and when I’m able to identify a flower, I add the species name to the keywords. I also put the color and size in the keywords, along with unidentified if I can’t ID it. I use four sizes, tiny, for flowers less than 1/2 inch across. Small for flowers from 1 to 2 inches across. Medium, for flowers 2 to 3 inches across, and large for flowers larger than 3 inches.
If I see a flower on some one else’s blog that matches one of my unidentified flowers, I can easily look it up in Lightroom by color and size, then replace the word “Unidentified” with the species name in the keywords, and it’s saved forever, all I have to do is look them up again if I forget their name. It works well for me so far.
Here’s a photo tip, or really, a photo editing tip. If your camera has trouble exposing certain color(s) of flowers, often it is yellow or red, or both, instead of lowering the exposure, try lowering the luminance for that color in Lightroom if you have that to edit photos. That’s how I got the evening primrose to look as good as it did in that photo. Lowering the luminance for just the color that looks overexposed leaves anything else in the frame, such as leaves, exposed correctly.
That’s it for this one, thanks for stopping by!